Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Simple, Classic, and Elegant

I'm sitting at home sick today, so little Abby and I are cuddled up on the couch with tea and girl movies for the day.  I often find myself visiting all of the websites I'm obsessed with when I'm out of commission like this.  I shortly found myself on jcrew.com and looking at their wedding dresses, they are pretty much the base and inspiration of my dress.  Before I get to the dress there's a back story though:

Last year Mike booked a wedding with the couple, Jordan and Julia.  I didn't meet Julia until we showed up on her wedding day and started shooting her getting her makeup done.  We stayed with Julia the whole time she was getting ready and I rode with her to the ceremony at West Fork.  I didn't meet Jordan, officially, until after the ceremony when we started doing their bride and groom shots.  It was obvious from the start that they weren't just any other bride or groom.  Jordan and Julia had us over for dinner when we were done editing their photos to have a viewing with them and we have truly been the best of friends since.  I love telling this story because what an unlikely time to have made this friendship and even more, how cool is it that we were there on one of the most important days of their lives?!  Mike and I love the two of them like they're our family and it's great to see a life long friendship with them.

So back to the point.  On the day of their wedding Julia's mom (who previously was in the business of making wedding dresses) was putting the final beading on the dress as Julia was getting her hair done.  I have to tell you I have never seen such an understated work of beauty.  We've seen lot of dresses, but not a single one of them moved me the way her's did.  I eventually asked Julia to see if her mom would be interested in making my dress when the time came and she accepted.  I am too excited to work with her and to have my own work of art that no other bride will ever have.  It will be a complete original.

As you'll notice the more I post, I've put a lot of time into making sure the things at our wedding our incredibly personal and that they compliment the things that mean the most to us.  Just about everything has some level of significance and is representative to our families, and mostly my mother.


On to the dress!  The dress will be made of either silk chiffon or silk taffeta.  I know both are very different and are for two totally different looks, but I'm still deciding there.



This is the silhouette I'll have and the dress will be in ivory.  I want a soft sweetheart neckline just like this photo, I'm not crazy about the ribbon, so I won't have that.  I am crazy about the pockets though!  Pockets will be a must!! :)  The back will have buttons, not the zipper that looks like you buttoned it.  Buttons.  The bodice will have lace on it that is champagne or a little darker in color looking something like this:


I want the lace to be darker so it compliments my great-grandmother's pearl necklace that my mom gave me after she passed away.  I'll save the necklace story and pictures for another day.  

I feel like the dress is the biggest indicator into what the rest of the wedding will be like, but more importantly, what the woman wearing the dress is like.  I hope my dress will say, "This is a woman who is simple, classic, and elegant."














                 


1 comment:

  1. So, just to let you know, Mike WILL hate you for those buttons. And even more so for having to delicately remove them so as not to harm your piece of art versus tearing them off you. Jus' sayin....maybe from personal experience ;)

    And since you're one simple, elegant, classy lady, I can't imagine your special day being any other way :)

    ReplyDelete